Cataloging and Tracking Your Work

Good habits start early.

Please join me in my studio!

Click here to join the online session from 5-6:30pm on Thursday, Feb 14th. Or come in person. My address is in Google Classroom under the assignment for the Studio Visit.

Google Hangout

Learning Objectives

1. Visit an artist’s studio to see what one looks like removed from the academic setting.    
  2. Continue making art regularly and post  at least 4 times with the required #artisapractice hashtag.    
  3. Consider what you’d like to have in your ideal studio. Make a wish list!  

Stay on Track

Build good habits…

MAKE ART

TAKE PHOTOS  

CATALOG EVERYTHING

Studios

If you don’t already have a studio space of your own set up at home, now is the time to start working on it. My studio started with a small space in my kitchen and then it grew larger, then moved out of the house, then back into my house and shrank into a small corner, then grew again and it’s now in my one-car garage. Carve out a space that is yours and guard it like a dragon guards a horde of gold.  Lots of things will try to steal your studio space and your studio time: jobs, families, money troubles, your own psyche, and a million other priorities that will claim your art isn’t valuable enough for the space or for the time. You are literally the only person who can protect your studio space and your studio time. It’s a tiny country and you’re its only army. You don’t have to sacrifice everything for your studio, but you DO have to sacrifice something. 15 minutes a day is better than nothing. 5 square feet is better than 0.  

Equipping a studio can be expensive. If the only space you currently have is at the university, now is the time to think about how you will outfit and maintain a studio once your time as a student is over. Some of you work at the university, and continuing to take classes is a great way to have access, but nothing beats being able to sneak a few minutes or hours in your pajamas without having to travel to campus.  

Asking to visit an artist in his or her studio is almost always a good idea. Most likely they will welcome the camaraderie of a fellow artist who is curious about their process. The worst that can happen is that they will say no. Generally they’re pretty welcoming though. Pay attention to how their space is set up and ask LOTS of questions.  

BBC Series “What do Artists Do All Day”

This series is pretty fantastic. I go back to it again and again to remind myself that artists make art. Seeing artists in their studios and hard at work will remind you that  making is at the heart of being an artist. The entire playlist is available here on YouTube.

What do Artists do All Day?

Inside Tracy Emin’s studio.  

What do Artists do All Day?

Comic book artist Frank Quitley.

What do Artists do All Day?

Photographer Albert Watson

What do Artists do All Day?

Sculptor Antony Gormley

Horizons:  

A few things you should be prepping for and working on.  

Instagram

I can see that many of you aren’t interacting with your fellow artists. This is your community. If you’re not talking to other artists, you’re working in a vacuum.  

Airtable

This week you should start building your own Airtable in your own way. Documentation is key.  

And please, for the love of all that is right in the world, spend some time in their guide to see what Airtable can do and their “Universe” to see how others are using it.  

l

Cafe and Submissions

Keep up with Cafe. Don’t miss opportunities.  

Website

You now have 3 pages on your website. This week, try adding some photos, text, and anything else that seems like a good idea. Don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.  

Studio Visit

Some of you may be coming over to my studio for a bit, some of you may be finding another artist’s studio to visit, and some of you might want to join my studio via Google Hangouts. The link is in Google Classroom. Join on Feb. 14th from 5-6:30.